21 Day Coding Challenge

Last Day of the Challenges 🦊

What a fun 21-days it was… Thank you everyone! :four_leaf_clover:

@tim_lhl and @cpt.waffle, quick question… What will happen, starting tomorrow?

Will the people who haven’t yet completed the 21-day Challenges be able to keep working on them?

Have you come up with an interesting approach to share solutions, for people interested in that?

Will these forums close soon, or will the remain online for a while?

Thank you for organizing everything.

:fox_face:

6 Likes

Agreed! I really enjoyed getting up every morning and tackling a new challenge.

3 Likes

IT was an amazing experience indeed love these types of challenges and team works !
See you guys in the next one! :wink::wink::wave:

1 Like

Thanks @Seb and everyone for continually contributing to the forum and helping make this community what it is.

To answer your questions:

Will the people who haven’t yet completed the 21-day Challenges be able to keep working on them?
:arrow_right:Yes, the challenge will remain open for anyone who has fallen behind or who want to register to complete the challenges. The May 1-21 time period is for prizing purposes specifically.

Have you come up with an interesting approach to share solutions, for people interested in that?
:arrow_right:We’ll be sharing some fun content on our blog over the next two weeks including a recap of the entire 21-Day Coding Challenge, what you should do next to continue your coding journey, and a post about the winning team.

Will these forums close soon, or will the remain online for a while?
:arrow_right:These forums will remain active and online when the challenge finishes.

Happy final challenge day,
Tim

2 Likes

Seriously, thank you to the whole team for making this! It’s been an awesome daily ritual for me. & thanks to @Seb @Symetrie @jbberinger & @cpt.waffle in particuliar for their awesome contributions! Honestly would not have been able to continue past Day 4 without your patience and dedication :slight_smile: …until 2AM YUL time aha!

I had literally never done JS before. It’s a great introduction!

2 Likes

That was one of my highlights of this whole 21 days :slight_smile: I’m so glad you kept at it :upside_down_face: :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

RIGHT?!!! It’s been my highlight too. A group of people who don’t know each other staying up until 2AM, to help this random girl they don’t know who’s never coded javascript and doesn’t get it ahahahahh
It doesn’t get more 2019-cyber-community than that!

3 Likes

Hi guys :slight_smile:
These past 21 days were super fun!!
I’m thinking tomorrow I’ll make a post where we can all start sharing up how everyone did the challenges :slight_smile: ( let me just clear it with everyone if that’s cool )

Thanks for everyone in the community for participating and making this an awesome experience
:smiley:

1 Like

Well, we could have 21 posts, identified as:

SOLUTIONS - Challenge # …

:wink:

That way people who still want to have all the fun of not looking at solutions will still have the options, but Having 21 new posts might be overkill. :stuck_out_tongue: Up to you, you’re the community manager!!!

It might be a good idea to remind everyone about code formatting in that post. I’ve been seeing a lot of:

function(a, b){
for(let i = 0; i < 10; i++){
console.log(a * i + b);
}
}

Instead of:

function(a, b){
  for(let i = 0; i < 10; i++){
    console.log(a * i + b);
  }
}
1 Like

Gif for explanation :smiley:

@cpt.waffle

I’m curious how you made the gif ??

1 Like

On a linux system I have a program called Peek.
Its very friendly to use and easy to install on Linux.

I know also there’s this chrome extension which does the job but I think its only in the browser.

2 Likes

That’s really sweet of you @odgerey ! I’m glad to see we are all here!
Shoutout to @Seb He’s the OG amongst us all lmao
2.1K READ OUF
and @cpt.waffle who’s at 1.4 k!

2 Likes

Thanks @Symetrie, you’re at 822 yourself… Quite the number :slight_smile: I’ve enjoyed reading you a lot :wink:

2 Likes

:bowing_man: :bowing_man:
Wheres the champagne at between! lol
:champagne:

1 Like

Well a lot of us are from Montreal, be careful what you wish for, we could end up in a get together!!! :wink: I don’t drink alcohol, but I could always have some fancy Kombucha or green juice while you’re having your Champain. laughing

:champagne:

3 Likes

Thanks for the challenge! I’ve had fun these past 21 days <3 It was the first time I’ve ever participated in a contest/challenge. (And coding on my phone xD)

I’m from Montreal as well xD

1 Like

lol bistro owner ovaaa here :raising_hand_woman: Still waiting on my equipment to arrive to open, but when I do, there’s lovely kombucha & cocktails ahaha! :grin::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I definitely enjoyed the last two challenges the most, and this is probably more due to the fact that I already have pretty extensive training in Javascript, but if I had to make one recommendation it would be to make the course harder :P. It feels like, the vast majority of challenges repeated the same basics; i.e. how to use a for loop, how to do an if statement, how to call a function, or how to change or check the property of an object.

Using the basics is fine; but it would be great if you could use the basics in more complex ways after the first 2-5 days. Because even on something like day 18, we’re just calling a function 100 times but by then, in theory people should already know how to do that because its just a for loop and a function call.

It would be great if there were more advanced challenges in applying those basics over time; I really only saw that on day 20 and 21 when the challenge is basically over. I think a great way to help increase the complexity is to provide more tools for users to debug their code; so console.log would be very helpful.

I also found that in general, its hard to consider these real challenges as for every question the answers are essentially given in the forums as people discuss what is right/wrong with their code (especially since the code is relatively simple). At some point it seemed to me like nothing was being enforced so I just gave away the answer haha. But, I think this could be remedied by creating randomized challenges for each user that vary to some extent.

Anyway the one benefit is that it has created a pretty friendly community. I think maybe at the end of the day these aren’t really challenges so much as an intro to javascript. If it was titled that I probably would’ve skipped this but it was fun anyway :P.

3 Likes