Challenge 5 Megathread

Welcome to challenge 5! Use this thread for any and all questions relating to challenge 5.

Plus, we have a handy walk-through video from Lighthouse Labs instructor Nima and education intern David. Watch it below. :eyes:

6 Likes

Using filter and map

const chooseStations = stations => stations
  .filter(([name,capacity,type]) => capacity >= 20 && (type === "school" || type === "community centre"))
  .map(station => station[0])
4 Likes

remember to use the && and || notations carefully so you know which one gets compared first (:

1 Like

but I think you will still have to loop through the array to construct a new array of only names, unlike challenge 4 when only filter is needed,

hi, i followed this step, but it seems the system is detecting errors in it.
if i click run test, it passes but if i click on submit code, it shows errors. my code is below

```
const chooseStations = (stations) => {
//empty array that will hold the selected stations
let selectedStations = [];

//loop through the stations
for (let station of stations){

//assigning station index variable names
const name = station[0];
const capacity = station[1];
const type = station[2];

//using if statement to check the capacity
if(capacity >= 20){

//using OR operator to check if the station is a school or a community center
  if(type === "school" || "community center"){
    selectedStations.push(name) //adding the selected stations to the selectedStations array;
  }

}
}
console.log( selectedStations)
return selectedStations;
}

the error message is below:   

Failed: The chooseStations should return only the appropriate stations.

Reason: Your code ran but did not produce the correct result.

Hint: Make sure you're filtering the array properly.

above is a screenshot of my code

Make sure you test against the Canadian spelling of “community centre” not “center”.

Or, expand your code slightly to include both spellings.

4 Likes

Also, while this challenge can be completed in a single line of code (using filter and map), your methodical approach is very clear and readable.

One thing you might want to add to your toolkit is Array Destructuring (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Operators/Destructuring_assignment) which might clean up the code a tiny bit:

for ([name, capacity, type] of stations){ ... }

All tests pass successfully but I get an" Failed: The chooseStations should return only the appropriate stations." when submitting the code. Is this a bug?

4 Likes

thank you, i was able to get it passed using the destructuring method. thank you

Hi,
I'm trying to resolve but print Undefined 

const chooseStations = (stations) => {
  // Code here!

let goodStation = [];

for (let station in stations){
      const name = stations[0];
      const type = station[2];
      const capacity = station[1];
    if (capacity > 20  && (type === "school" || type ==="community centre")){

console.log(stations[station]);
    }
    goodStation.push(name);
  }
  // Remember to return a value!
  return goodStation;
}

TEST CODE passes,
console logged output matches output,
SUBMIT CODE fails: Failed: The chooseStations should return only the appropriate stations.
Is this a bug, or am I missing something here?

I was going blind. (I couldn’t test my code). All you need is to use Array.prototype.map so
stations.filter(/* stuff goes here*/).map(station => station[0])

Hi RaVCOder, I haven’t tested your code, but try a couple of these changes to see if it fixes it:

• const name = station[0] instead of stations
  • I would move the push line inside the if statement, since you only want to push the names where all the conditions are met; right now because it’s outside the if statement it will take all the names

you are using an assignment ‘=’ instead of == or === comparison operator (in filter method)

Tried ‘=’ vs ‘==’ vs ‘===’ same result.

“centre”, not “center”

Same here, the tests runs successfully but submitting it gives me the same error as you.