Challenge 2 Megathread

Welcome to challenge 2! Use this thread for any and all questions relating to challenge 2.

1 Like

Is challenge 2 unlocked already? I am being re-directed to challenge 1

I see challenge 2. Try relogging in again?

1 Like

thanks. I see it now

Hello!
Just to be sure. If I see this " Woohoo! All of your tests passed!", does that mean my code is correct and I can submit it?

1 Like

Out of the 3 tests, I have 1 failing test:

Failed: The interviewAnswer function should return the correct response for each topic question.

Expected: Time is money.

Actual: We’ll have to get creative!

Here’s my code:

Challenge 2

const interviewAnswer = (topic) => {

if(topic=“arts funding”) {
return(“We’ll have to get creative!”)}

if(topic=“economy”) {
return(“Time is money.”)}

if(topic=“transportation”){
return(“It’s going to be a long road, so we better get moving.”)}

if(topic=![“arts funding”, “economy”, “transportation”]){
return(“QUACK!”)}
}

What am I missing? I kinda get the logic; “Time is money” should ONLY be returned if the topic is “Economy” but I have no idea how to do this.

With = you assign a value to topic, you don’t compare.
Look at this page

Ugh, of course!! I’m annoyed because I knew that :woman_facepalming:. Thanks Jessika.

1 Like

:wink: You’re welcome!

Er.ma.gerd.

Doing this on an iPad is pain.full.

I’m having a complete brain fart on syntax and the console is showing me errors on every line…

I don’t want someone to fix it all but a kick in the right direction might wake my brain up

3 Likes

My guess is that your iPad is using curly quotes, rather than the straight quotes (or inch marks) that Javascript expects.

2 Likes

you may need to turn off smart punctuation in your settings

1 Like

Hmmmmmmm that could be…not sure there’s a manual override for that

well that’s super annoying. all good now, thanks @memoryguy @carloc

I figured it was something like that. will have to poke around with the smart punctuation settings some more (completed on laptop)

otherwise just going to drop the ipad approach

@Tim-Lighthouse-Labs @cpt.waffle YES to giving beginners the resources for comparison operators !!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: That’s such an awesome improvement to the last 21dcc hehe!

Could try single quotes ’ they work for strings in JS and might work better on an iPad.

If it makes you feel any better I’ve been doing web dev professionally for 3 years and still make that mistake :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Database updated a bit later than anticipated today. You should be able to see each new challenge - granted you completed the previous day’s - at midnight Pacific time moving forward. Thanks for your patience!

1 Like